Persistent checked ons-switch

• I’m trying to keep a checked ons-switch to remain checked even after directing to other page, my code isn’t exactly doing that.

function offWork() {    
    if (document.getElementById("grabOrder").style.display == "none")
    {
        localStorage.setItem('swButton', 'true');  //trying to store the value of ons-switch = true
        document.getElementById("grabOrder").style.display= "block";
    }
    else
    {
        localStorage.setItem('swButton', 'false'); //trying to store the value of ons-switch = false
        document.getElementById("grabOrder").style.display= "none";
    }
    }

I thought of creating a function checkSwitch() to check the value of the switch and be called when home.html is opened, where the ons-switch resides.

function checkSwitch() {
        if (document.getElementById('swButton').checked == (localStorage.getItem("swButton")  === 'true')) {
            document.getElementById('swButton').setAttribute('checked',true);
        }
        else
        {
            document.getElementById('swButton').setAttribute('checked',false);
        }
    }

HTML ons-switch:

<div class="right"><ons-switch id="swButton" onclick="offWork()"></ons-switch></div>

Any advice would be great.

• @AspiringWizard This code was pulled from one of my working apps:

Initialize the storage variable

if (localStorage.getItem("startVibrate") === null) {
              localStorage.setItem('startVibrate', 'true');
            } 

Settings Page -> In the onShow event listener

document.getElementById('startVibrate').checked = (localStorage.getItem("startVibrate")  === 'true');                    
                    document.getElementById('startVibrate').addEventListener('change', function(e) {
                        localStorage.setItem('startVibrate', e.target.checked.toString()); 
                    });

Markup

<ons-switch id="startVibrate"></ons-switch>

• Tried implementing your code, I’m getting “Cannot set property ‘checked’ of null”

document.getElementById('swButton').checked = (localStorage.getItem("swButton")  === 'true');

• @AspiringWizard As I stated in the earlier post, that code is implemented in the settings page onShow event listener. You would need this:

document.addEventListener("show", function(event){
       if (event.target.id == "myOnsPageID") {  
         document.getElementById('swButton').checked = (localStorage.getItem("swButton")  === 'true');                    
                    document.getElementById('swButton').addEventListener('change', function(e) {
                        localStorage.setItem('swButton', e.target.checked.toString()); 
                    });
      }
    });

Edit: You probably don’t need the toString() but I come from the background with explicit types, so I often feel I should still do this in JS to avoid any type of unintended issues.

• Sorry for the delay, I had to work on other parts of my project before coming back to this. I have managed to get my ons-switch working as intended with your code, thanks for your help!